Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy Mouse in Clover

Good evening legionnaires. How's your week going? It's almost over. I have another weekend with not too much to do. I have picked  my box style for the shower favors. And I think I maycall the mama-to-be and ask her to come to my house and help with these. She's offered and I think she wants to get out of the house. She will have 3 little ones when this one is born. If I recall, 3 is kinda' the magic number. It's not easy getting 3 ready to do anything. It's difficult to split things into three vs. half. And if you already have a boy and a girl; then you end up with either two boys or two girls and then you're faced with the only one boy or one girl syndrome. That causes all kinds of issues. Believe me, I know...been there...done that. And don't forget middle child syndrome. Why, books have been written about the woes of that one. OK, I just feel life is so much easier with just two....two parents, two kids, two cars, two pets...ya' catch my drift?

So fans, here's my only card for St. Patrick's Day. I'm 1/8 Irish on my paternal side, and used to make a big deal about it too...you know being such a conglomerate of ethnicity as I am. Yup, used to wear as much green as possible and then had to explain to the predominate race in my school, that I really did have an Irish great-grandmother from County Cork named Mary Owens, who arrived here in the late 1800s trying to get as far away from the potato famines as possible. I think my story met with skepticism. Maybe if I had finished it ....bear with me. Oh, she escaped, right into New York's Hell's Kitchen district, became a prostitute out of desparation (or so we believe), and lived for several years like this until a half Shinnecock Indian/half black former slave who grew veggies in Catskill, came down to sell his produce. No one is quite sure just under what circumstances he met Mary, but I like to think he saved her from her pimp and regaled her with stories of the good life to be had on the fertile farmlands of upstate New York. It seems Mary was not concerned with the color of his skin. Bully for her! And off she went. The story goes she was a wonderful wife and mother, a tad strict and honest to the bone. She raised 7 kids and insisted they all attend the local St. Patrick's Catholic School and be alter boys. Soooo, I really do have a legitimate reason for claiming my Erin Go Braugh, huh.

Base: SU's soft sage, non-descript white, ds paper from a digital company out of Great Britain  here and the stamp called O Lucky Day by Stampabilities. Used my Nestie for the shape and the green mat (not SU paper) was done by tracing the outside of the Nestie and then hand-cutting it. Hmmm, didn't particularly enjoy that, but like the look. I used a little clover punch from my stash and colored'em over with a sparkly Copic pen and mounted em' on a tiny square. Most of the image coloring was done with Copics and the background I did with chalk.  A ribbon and green pearl from my stash finish it off.

Enjoy the rest of the week....it'll be over before ya' know it.
Erica
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dainty Diva said...

Hey Erica, love your part Irish story. I believe it. You did and super job on coloring with your copics. Don't sha just love the nesties

Deb Neerman said...

Fabulous card, Erica! And what a wonderful story, too! Fabulous job with the Copic-coloring! Erin Go Braless!